American Stories: Amadeus Luara

Freshman Amadeus Luara is originally from Bolivia. In this installment of American Stories, he will discuss how he had to adapt to life in the U.S. Here is his story:

I never thought I would change my life. Everything was so different when I came to the United States, as I had to change my language, food, and culture, in order not to be lost.

All of these changes are hard. I had to adapt to a new language, food, and economy. But all of which were changes to better my life.

Learning English is necessary. There are many institutes to learn English. American people are very kind. If they see you do not speak English, they help you.

Also, if you speak English, you can get better jobs and by speaking English, you can get a better life.

The typical American foods are diverse. Many people fatten up eating American food such as pizza, hamburgers, and French fries.

However, if you spend more money, you can eat better and healthier foods.

As you are in a strange country you have to get accustomed.

The USA’s economy is more useful. Here, you can work per hour, not per month.

You can pick a part-time or full-time job. They pay every two weeks. This method is so much better than in my country.

There are many problems. When you come to a new country, the food is different, many people speak only English, but economy system is more convenient.

I hope to adapt to this country. I will learn English. I would taste other foods. And hopefully pick a full-time job.

Adapting to a new country and speaking their language resolve a lot of problems for the foreign people.