New superintendent chosen

Dr. Scott Braband will be FCPS' next Superintendent

Aseal Saed and Binqi Chen

The Fairfax County School Board has selected Dr.Scott Brabrand  as the  finalist for the position of Superintendent of FCPS. 

Brabrand, the current Superintendent of Lynchburg City Schools in Lynchburg, Virginia and he has had experience as an assistant superintendent, principal of Fairfax High School, assistant principal, associate principal and teacher. Prior to joining FCPS as an employee, he served as a volunteer at FCPS while working as assistant manager for Bell Atlantic.
After receiving input from employees, parents and students, the school board chose Braband from a vast nationwide search led by the firm of Hazard, Young, Attea and Associates.

Along with his many professional accomplishments, Braband has a high scholastic record as well. He earned his bachelor of science with a degree in foreign service in international economics from in 1990 from Georgetown University.

In 1990, he received his master’s degree in education from The George Washington University. Braband earned his doctorate degree in educational leadership and policy from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.

The school board started its search for a new superintendent beginning in early February after the resignation of Dr. Karen Garza. A committee of 19 members, including staff and community members, interviewed and vetted semi-finalists. After the interviews, they provided their feedback back to the board members.

As the Superintendent, he will be expected to lead one of the nation’s largest school districts. Braband is currently in his fifth year as the Superintendent of Lynchburg City Schools, which has roughly 8,000 students. FCPS is almost 20 times that amount, the district has almost 185,000 students.

Fairfax County Public Schools, although stellar in its academics, still faces problems just like other countries across the country. Hopefully, Braband will lead the district in a positive direction.

Braband’s tenure as Superintendent was finalized on June 8. The Board gave its final approval and Braband is be expected to begin a four year term starting on July 10.