Boys lacrosse prepares for regular season games

Senior+Matthew+Vogus+cradles+the+ball+up-field+during+a+game+against+the+Stonewall+Jackson+Raiders.++
Senior Matthew Vogus cradles the ball up-field during a game against the Stonewall Jackson Raiders.

Ethan Zimmerman, Staff Writer

The Atoms boys lacrosse team season is underway as the team has faced off against the Fairfax Rebels and the Thomas Jefferson Colonials in the first two scrimmages of the season.

The Rebels defeated the Atoms in the first scrimmage on Mar. 3 by a lopsided margin. However, the team bounced back in their next scrimmage as the Atoms redeemed themselves with a 9-5 victory against the Colonials on Mar. 7. The Colonials jumped out to an early lead but the Atoms grabbed the lead back with multiple consecutive goals.

“After playing two scrimmages it’s really showed our team’s strengths and weaknesses which has motivated us to make adjustments and improve for the first regular season game,” sophomore Sam Phan said.

The Atoms’ first regular season game on Mar.14 was at home against the West Springfield Spartans (results to this game were not available by the day of publication).

“For our regular season games, we need to improve on our stick skills so we don’t give the other team more opportunities, talk and communicate more and also help our goalies out on defense,”` Head Coach Bill Maglisceau said.

The roster this season has given the team a different approach to their playing style.

“We’re a more well rounded team compared to previous years, we don’t just have two superstar players,” senior Bilal Kamara. “This year everyone can contribute and we’re not just trying to get the ball to our star players”.

The Atoms have been working on communication, passing and  fundamentals in order to win as many games as possible this season.

“I feel that the team is pretty solid but there are a few things that we could still work on,” Phan said.

The Atoms are optimistic about their season and look to win multiple games to improve from last year. The team finished the season 1-11 last year with a single win coming against Thomas Jefferson.

“Last Season we had some dynamic players, and this year we have a team where everybody can score, everybody can get ground balls and the chance for playing time is wide open,” Maglisceau said.

The Atoms’ current season consists of games against tough conference competitors such as W.T. Woodson, South County and Lake Braddock.

“We have to carry the momentum from our last win and practice hard in order to do well in our upcoming games,” Kamara said.

Following the Atoms’ game against the Spartans, the team will take on the South County Stallions on Mar.16 at South County.  

The  talented Stallions team was victorious at the Patriot Conference Championship game last year by defeating the W.T. Woodson Cavaliers by a score of 10-8. The Atoms will face a senior heavy roster as they look to defeat the reigning conference champions.