Alumni postcard: John Oakes, ’11

Alumni postcard: John Oakes, 11

What college do you attend?

I attend the University of South Carolina.

When did you graduate from AHS?

I graduated with the Class of 2011.

What is your major?

I am majoring in Nursing and am contracted with Army ROTC.

What is the best part about college?

There are so many awesome things about college that it’s hard to narrow it down to one thing. Meeting new people and making connections is a big bonus to college life as well as learning a lot of responsibility and maturing quickly. Also, there is nothing like being a Gamecock and getting to watch unprecedented SEC football in the fall.

What did you participate in at AHS?

I participated in Lacrosse, Golf, Indoor Track and Field, as well as National Honor Society, Social Studies Honor Society, Math Honor Society, Young Republicans, Key Club, Model United Nations, and Future Business Leaders of America.

What was your favorite subject and teacher at AHS?

My favorite subject was definitely science and more specifically biology, but I had a lot of awesome teachers that I really liked and I try to visit Annandale periodically to keep in touch with them.

What was your favorite memory from AHS?

I made a lot of memories in high school and I can’t say I have a favorite memory, but my senior year was the most memorable. I will always remember the memories I made like going to states with a very special group of guys in lacrosse, the college application process, becoming close with my group of friends, going to prom, and so much more.

What helped you the most at AHS to prepare for college?

Unfortunately the IB program didn’t prepare me for college as well as it was advertised too, but my AP Journalism class my senior year helped me the most. It taught me how to properly write papers and how to read passages and pick out important pieces to reflect on. I still use what I learned in that class on a weekly basis to write reflection papers. Much of what I learned in biology I use as well in my numerous biology and human anatomy classes.

What advice do you have for upcoming graduates?

Make the most of college, but stay organized and disciplined about getting your work done and studying hard. College is what prepares you for a career so take it seriously. Get involved in organizations and find your niche, but develop a solid group of friends that have a positive influence on you.