The Way It Was Album Review

If you like to listen to music that’s not completely overplayed on  American Top 40 or 99.5, then go buy Parachute’s new album. Formerly known as Sparky’s Flaw, Charlottesville, Virginia’s pop-rock quintet, Parachute, has finally released its sophomore album, titled The Way It Was. With a sound more serious, more refined and incredibly unrivaled, it’s sure to climb the charts. With a sound often compared to bands like The Script, My Favorite Highway, The All-American Rejects and Maroon 5, their music is also quick to please.

The band currently consists of frontman Will Anderson, drummer Johnny Stubblefield, bassist Alex Hargrave, guitarist Nate McFarland and Kit French on the saxophone and keyboard. 

After Parachute wrapped up the year 2010, the band brought in the new year with a fall tour alongside the UK’s Joe Brooks and Nashville Tennessee’s Hot Chelle Rae. The band promoted their album by playing a variety of new songs at their shows, giving their fans a taste of the music to come. The band is currently on a U.S. tour with The Plain White T’s  and will continue to tour this summer with The Goo Goo Dolls and Michelle Branch. 

The highly anticipated album left former fans nervous that it wouldn’t compare to their first and previous album, Losing Sleep, but it definitely beats down all of those negative expectations.

Initially, the band announced their release date as April 12 through Mercury Records, but later moved the date to May 7 (for reasons currently unknown). And it’s definitely worth the wait. Although the band played it somewhat safe this time around, they managed to keep their familiar sound, continued to write songs with catchy lyrics and produced an all-around good record.

The album’s filled with upbeat, bouncy songs perfect for cruising in the car with the windows down, which isn’t typical of Parachute, and even features a song titled “Kiss Me Slowly,” co-written by Charles and Dave of Lady Antebellum.

So if you choose to shell out a few bucks on iTunes, and you like what you hear,  make sure to catch Parachute on their summer tour at Wolf-Trap on July 26.

Tracklisting:

1. White Dress

2. You & Me

3. Something To Believe In (Jeremiah)

4. Forever and Always

5. What I know

6. American Secrets

7. Kiss Me Slowly

8. Halfway

9. Philadelphia

10. Square One (iTunes Bonus)