A year’s worth of effort

The eager voices of students and teachers filled the room of Clausen Hall as visitors steadily traced the walls of the room with pensive faces. They took in the large sculptures near the entrances, the eccentric paintings hung on the far wall, and turned right to a corner subdued in florescent light, subtle murmuring starts about the piece displayed in front of them.

A girl is photographed subdued in emotional dark hues and gorgeous color, as her eyes remained cast ahead with a look of hope captured within them. It is a stunning portrait; one that kept the same pensive group of visitors almost halted in front of it, ready to ask the group of seniors who made the piece that usual question: “What inspired you to create this piece?”

Senior Marcella Ortiz smiled a moment at senior Paulina Stehr beside her before answering the group of observers in front of her. “My theme is oppression versus freedom and I chose that because the idea of those two extremes have always interested me,” she said.

It took several weeks to create the night-like quality of the picture that defined the theme that Ortiz strived to portray in her piece. Several other of her works of art at the show would also share this common theme. Ortiz worked with Stehr to enhance the look of the picture and the story that she was telling.

“Paulina is an actress, so she knew how to incorporate exactly what I was looking for,” Ortiz said.

Each piece had a different meaning to every student with ideas that inspired their creativity.

“I’m a bit nervous because it is the first time that I am showing my art to an actual audience, but I am really excited,” senior Eliana Sejas said.

Her artwork defined extreme colors and visual aspects of beauty and extended further to display pictures of a young girl that supported the “Innocence is Beauty” topic.

Seja’s hard work has been a portion of the accumulation of the twenty-two other IB Art students who also displayed their artwork and creative pieces throughout the night

The show started at 6 p.m. and all the artwork will be left there for another week so that other students are allowed the chance to view the artwork.

Some students were not accustomed to the idea of the show, where everyone was invited to look at each of the student’s individual station that was an accumulation of their artwork of two years.

“It feels awkward and kind of strange because you’re waiting for people to look at your photos,” senior Adeeba Rasoli said.

Others were more than excited to demonstrate their talents and artwork that showcased their individual talents.

“It’s definitely reassuring [to be in this show] and it feels good because I’ve worked so hard. It is also hard to believe because you take so much time and energy that it really feels good when all your hard work pays off,” senior Becca Sponga said.

The show was a time to showcase not only the artwork but also the meaning behind the student’s pieces.

In addition to the hard work that the students were expected to do, the students enjoyed the class because of the flow of creativity that allowed them to expand their horizons and look at the world in a different perspective.

“The IB Art program is a lot of fun. This class isn’t all about technique,” Ortiz said. “You get to see others grow and develop as artists.”

The show invited all family members and friends to come out and support the student artists and learn more about their work.

“I admired their work even when it wasn’t complete,” senior Sarah Slough said.

The twenty three IB Art students all displayed different mediums of their work as a result of one to two years of work.

“I am amazed at the work that these students have been able to do. I am very proud to see how their work has come together,” IB Art teacher Meredith Stevens said.