A new change in rhythm

Photo courtesy of Briar Creek Photography
New band director Adam Hilkert (second from left) poses with his colleagues at the Marching Atoms’ summer retreat.

The AHS Marching Atoms welcomed its newest addition, Adam Hilkert, formerly of Langley High School, this school year. Hilkert, multi-talented and a native of Indianapolis, is currently getting his doctorate in conducting at George Mason University, and has recently added band director for the AHS Marching Atoms to his decked-out résumé.

Band students, such as senior Gabriel Kuhl, approve of the positive changes Hilkert is making to the program.

“I think, as a teacher, he definitely knows his stuff,” Kuhl said. “He was able, especially at camp, to effectively balance fun with work [and] also succeeded in bringing back and maintaining band traditions for the seniors.”

A well-rounded musician and fan of the arts, Hilkert’s an inspiration to band students at Annandale.

“If they’re not inspired and exhausted at the end of rehearsal then I’m not doing my job,” Hilkert said.

Hilkert also has plenty of inspirational quotes that he uses to motivate his band, including “‘Talent is never enough,’ ‘Luck is where preparation meets opportunity,’ and ‘When I conduct, it doesn’t make any sounds; [you] make all the sounds.’”

The AHS Marching Atoms have been part of  a Virginia Honor Band for 15 years, a high honor for any high school band. But Hilkert did not only choose AHS for its tradition of excellence. “[AHS] kind of feels like a family. A lot of the other county’s schools don’t have that,” Hilkert said.

Former AHS band director, Andrew Loft, assumed a new position as Robinson Secondary School’s band director with Hilkert as his replacement.

When Hilkert attended Lawrence High School in Indianapolis, he was involved in band, orchestra, choir, the student newspaper, speech team and theater production. His specialty instruments remain the string bass and the bass guitar. Hilkert also studied voice in college as part of his music major.

The AHS Marching Atoms have a tough season ahead, as Hilkert has laid out even bigger plans for them: “[My plan with them] is to start seeking national recognition,” Hilkert said.

AHS will try to compete in many competitions this year, including Bands of America, a Music for All national band competition program.

“In the coming years, I’d like to see the band do well at those events,” Hilkert said.

Tom Updike, senior and drum major, agrees that the Marching Atoms have national potential.

“We have very talented musicians and marchers,” Updike said. “This season will be very fruitful if the band puts in 100 percent of their effort.”

The AHS Marching Atoms will have Tag Day Saturday, Sept. 8. Members will ask for contributions at homes in the district to raise funds for transportation, instruments, uniforms, guest clinicians and fees. In order for the band to develop skills and spread their talent, monetary contributions from the community are needed. All the band concerts are free and halftime shows at football games feature the Marching Atoms. People can also see the Marching Atoms march in the Annandale Community Parade on Saturday, Oct. 27.