Phantom of the orchestra

Abby Barnes
Freshman Leif Jomuad (right) works hard while practicing his music during Ammerman’s W2 class.

The orchestra department will be performing its Masquerade Concert on Oct. 25 at 7 p.m. in the auditorium. This will be the orchestra’s first concert with their new director, Angela Ammerman.

In previous years, all the members of the orchestra have dressed up in costumes of their choice. When told about the yearly masquerade concert tradition, Ammerman’s first reaction was excitement.

“I’m going to be a superhero. I love dress-up,” Ammerman said.

Senior violinist Julia Dao, who participated in previous concerts, has also loved dressing up in past years.

“Last year I was the Chesire Cat because it was a Disney theme, and the year before I was a werewolf,” Dao said.

Sophomore violist Trami Ly preferred more heavenly characters. “I dressed up as an angel with wings.” Ly said. Ly is part of the Artiste Orchestra, one of the four orchestras at AHS.

The orchestras will perform the Halo Theme by Martin O’Donnell and Michael Salvatori, Sarabande by Carl Bohm and arranged by Marcus D. Dowty and Gregorian Rhapsody by Elliot del Borgo. Many orchestra students approve of the song choices.

“[The songs] are really amazing,” Ly said. “[They] make the musician actually feel the music.”

The orchestra will try to portray a Halloween theme by playing songs that are frightening, fun or narrative.

“Some of [the songs] were creepy, some were really fun and interesting, and some tell a story,” Ammerman said. “I love songs that tell a story, so I was really excited when I saw them.”

Though the orchestra has a whole new game plan this year, they seem to be on track for the upcoming concerts.

“We’re pretty close. We can make it through the music without stopping, so now we just need to work on adding character,” Ammerman said.

The concert’s admission is free  and all are invited to attend.