Artist in the spotlight: Shaun Weber

Senior Shaun Weber applied to New York University’s School of Arts for filmmaking and television.

Q: What do you want to do in college/as a career when you grow up?

I want to be a Film/Television Major.

Q: When did you know you wanted to go into filmmaking?

Over the summer I volunteered at the Smithsonian Folklife Festival as part of the videography team recording the events and creating short pieces on the exhibits. I took Film at Annandale last year and really enjoyed the creative process, but I didn’t decide to major in film until this summer.

Q: Why do you like film?

I love creating stories and characters. Film is a greatly varied medium that can do anything from simply making the audience laugh, to conveying certain universal truths.  I’ve always loved movies and television shows since I was little. My dad is a producer/director for the Smithsonian so it was from him that I learned technical skills. I used to write a lot and I would imagine my own life as a movie.

Q: What was the process like in preparing a film for your NYU application?

Making my application film involved running through a gigantic brainstormed list of film ideas that I had from the past year. I then wrote four or five drafts of the script, drew a storyboard and wrote in a final shot-script. Finding actors wasn’t too difficult but securing times when everyone was available took some organization. I finished editing the film on the weekend before the final submission date (NYU pushed back their deadline for the East Coast because of the hurricane).

Q: How do you feel after submitting your application?

Waiting for the admissions decision letter is the strangest mix of exhilaration and horror.