Band & orchestra travel to Orlando

Photo courtesy of James Barker
A group of chorus students pose with Disney figures.

New full-time orchestra teacher Angela Ammerman and band teacher Adam Hilkert will experience their first spring trips this year, taking about 145 music students to Orlando, Florida. The AHS orchestras and bands will have to compete with a legacy of superior and near-superior rankings. They will be traveling to SeaWorld,  Planet Hollywood, Walt Disney World, Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure and will compete at OrlandoFest.

The groups will depart Wednesday, April 17 and will return on Sunday, April 21.

“I am looking forward to Harry Potter World, Seaworld, and the great food we will eat!” Ammerman said. “I am slightly dreading the insanely long bus rides, but I’ll get over those.”

Approximately 65 orchestra members will be participating in the spring trip.  The orchestra will be performing “Danza Latina” by Balmages, “Concerto Grosso in D Minor” by Vivaldi, “Point Lookout” by Balmages, “Reverie” by Susan Day, “Hungarian Dance No. 4” by Brahms and “Dance of the Samodivi” by Soon Hee Newbold.

Students are also anticipating this year’s trip. The trip has been a success in past years, and seniors are eager to revisit those memories.

“My favorite memory of Florida my sophomore year was when I was able to meet all of the Disney characters throughout the parks,” senior Alex Williams said.

Around 80 band members will be participating in three different bands. The Marching Band, Jazz Ensemble and Festival Band will perform.

The Marching Band will play AHS’s “The Fight Song,” the drum cadence and “Corcoran Cadets” by John Philip Sousa. The Jazz Ensemble will play “All of Me” by Gerald Marks, “Count Bubba” by Gordon Goodwin and “In A Sentimental Mood” by Duke Ellington. The Festival Band will play “The Winged Stallion” by Rossano Galante, “Kentucky 1800” by Clare Grundman and “Shadows of the Equinox” by Robert Sheldon. The Festival Band is a combination of the Symphonic and Concert Bands.

Chorus will not be attending, but will instead have the opportunity to go to Germany in the summer. Chorus participates in a German Exchange program. Every other year, German choral students visit AHS, and choral students visit them in the off summers. Every music department will have a chance to participate in a trip this year.