Battle of the Bands rocks AHS

Jazmine Bounds & Sarah Bergen
‘Oh, Satellite’ the previous winners of the 2011 Battle of the Bands, will return to compete.

This year’s Battle of the Bands, an AHS PTSA fundraising event, is going to be held in the AHS Watson auditorium at 7 p.m. The community-wide musical competition is an opportunity for local bands to perform in front of a live audience and will be held on May 31. For this competition, the audience will act as judges in determining the winner.

Admission, which includes two voting tickets, is $7.00. Additional voting tickets cost $1.00 for two tickets and $5.00 for ten tickets.

“[Battle of the Bands] is a great event to go to and participate in. It is entertaining and lets bands show off what they can do,” event MC senior Andrew Riddle said.

A total of seven bands, consisting of a mix of seasoned performers as well as first timers, will make their way to the AHS stage. Audience members can expect a variety of music genres featuring each artist’s unique style.

“Acts range from heavy metal groups all the way to possible solo dubstep, so there is a wide range of talent,” Battle of the Bands organizer and participant junior Austin Costello said.

Bands are not limited on the number of songs they may perform, but have a time limit of 15 minutes with another 5 minutes to set up their equipment. However, these time limits are subject to change depending on the number of acts. Bands are allowed to play original songs or cover songs. This year’s Battle of the Bands will feature both.

The event has been a long-time community favorite. Although it was canceled due to severe weather last year, it is returning this year with plans to continue in the future.

“I’m really hoping this will be a fresh new start to Battle of the Bands and the beginning of a new tradition at Annandale,” Costello said.

This year, the winners chosen by the audience will receive a prize, most likely a gift card to a local music store.

Battle of the Bands is a widely anticipated event throughout the AHS community and many look forward to seeing both the new talent and old stars.

“[The battle introduces] a new generation of bands and I am excited to hear them,” Riddle said.

Battle of the Bands also serves as a food drive; audience members are encouraged to bring canned food to help restock the food pantry that helps support the AHS community.

“I’m looking forward to…the revival of the event which I hope will become a major tradition at Annandale,” Costello said.