VMA outburst brings Kanye unwanted publicity

Kanye's VMA outburst left Taylor in tears.

“Yo, Taylor. I’m really happy for you, I’m gonna let you finish, but Beyonce had one of the best videos of all time. One of the best videos of all time!”

Accompanied by a non-repentant shrug, Kanye West’s unexpected outburst at the 2009 VMA’s angered millions of Taylor Swift fans, and got millions more talking about the musician’s reputation for rude, disruptive, and downright jerky behavior. West’s most recent tirade was spawned by this year’s MTV Video Music Awards ceremony, where Taylor Swift received the award of Best Female Video for her song “You Belong with Me.” While giving her acceptance speech, West appeared from offstage, grabbed Swift’s microphone, and gave his little spiel. Initial cheers turned to boos when the crowd realized the interruption was unplanned and unwelcome, while Swift stood shell-shocked in the background, the glory of her award quickly fading.

While innocent Taylor was the most recent victim of a Kanye attack, she was by no means the first, and judging by West’s cocky behavior, probably won’t be the last. A music blog posted on guardian.co.uk by Rosie Swash gives a comprehensive list of all the outrageous Kanye activity of the last five years, from hissy fits thrown after losing award titles to various other artists (think Gretchen Wilson, Justice vs Simian), to threatening “real problems” if he failed to pick up any awards at the 2005 Grammys (he didn’t), to his well-known, off-the-script comment on an NBC live fundraiser for the victims of Hurricane Katrina, famously quoting, “George Bush doesn’t care about black people.” Even Time magazine gets in on the fun, featuring the “Top Ten Outrageous Kanye West Moments” on its website, including, but not limited to: West posing as Jesus on the cover of Rolling Stone magazine in 2006; announcing his intended name change to “Martin Louis the King Jr.” in order to promote his Louis Vuitton sneaker line early in 2009; and on the Philadelphia stop of the 2005 Live 8 Concert tour, organized to direct attention to world poverty and AIDS, ranting that AIDS was a “man-made disease” and was “placed in Africa just like crack was placed in the black community to break up the Black Panthers.”

While West is the hip-hop artist behind some undeniably catchy songs, such as “Love Lockdown,” this latest incident and its consequences seem to indicate that the public is growing tired of the Kanye attitude of conceited pig-headedness. Even Barack Obama was caught making an off-the-record remark about West’s behavior, calling him a jack*** behind-the-scenes at an interview. Kanye, while you might not be the “voice of this generation,” you are a relatively obnoxious guy, so please, tone it down. And if you wake one morning to find a flurry of menacing Taylor Swift fans outside your window, that would be karma, making a comeback.