Jersey Shore ‘makes Italians look horrible’

Guido.

Chances are you’ve probably heard the word before. The term originates from the Italian word for “I drive,” and refers to Italian Americans of the urban working middle class.

People who consider themselves ‘guidos’ or ‘guidettes’ do not feel that the word is offensive whatsoever. However, the majority of Italian Americans find the word derogatory.

The word was recently brought to light by the popular new MTV reality show Jersey Shore.

The series is about eight housemates who identify themselves as Italian, and openly display the heritage in many ways during their summer in the mid-Atlantic area of the United States known as Jersey Shore.

Jersey Shore has recently received heat from three prominent Italian watchdog organizations, Order of the Sons of Italy, UNICO National, and the National Italian American Foundation, who have harshly criticized the show for negatively portraying Italians.

According to UPI.com, president of UNICO National, Andre DiMino, recently stated, “[The cast members] are an embarrassment to themselves, their heritage and their families.”

Ralph Caputo, New Jersey State Assemblyman, who is of Italian descent, agrees with the above statement. “The show is an attack on Italian-Americans altogether and its end result is stereotyping,” he said.

In fact, Italians are so offended by the show that New Jersey senator Joseph F. Vitale and Chairman of the New Jersey Italian and Italian American Heritage Commission, Richard Bilotti, have asked MTV’s mother company Viacom to cancel the show.

Many Annandale students also have a negative feeling towards the show.

Zachary Leslie, senior, said, “The show makes Italians look horrible. MTV itself is the pinnacle of human stupidity; it shows absolute nonsense all the time.”

Freshman Jennifer Ha complies with the aforementioned statement. “I think the show is stupid because all they do is go out and party. Kids are getting influenced by that stuff,” she said.

Italian celebrity Alyssa Milano was completely appalled by the show and stated that she’d never watch it.

A lot of AHS students, however, are big fans of the series. “I think the show is harmless,” said sophomore Isabella Elder.

Sophomore Nina Caballero agrees. “[Jersey Shore] is just a show for fun, plus, I love Snooki,” she said.

“I can see how Italians could be offended by [the show], but I don’t necessarily think it makes them look bad. It’s just a show and it’s funny,” said senior Aimee Jennings.

Junior Nico Vivero is on the fence about the debate. Being part Italian, I don’t really feel offended because [the show] doesn’t represent all Italians, just the way certain people on the Jersey Shore who happened to be Italian.”

Jersey Shore has recently raised a lot of controversy lately with the “Beachcomber Bar & Grill” incident where one of the cast members, Nicole “Snooki” Polizzi, got punched in the face by a man who was later discovered to be a teacher from New York.

The MTV series’ first season ended on January 21 with the episode titled “That’s How The Shore Goes,” and while many eagerly anticipate a second season, others are praying for the show to be canceled.