3-D or not 3-D, that is the question

Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past several months, you have probably heard of and/or seen a 3-D movie. 3-D movies are becoming increasingly popular and have become a ‘revolutionary’ new way to view cinema.  In order to view a 3-D movie, people must wear a special set of polarized glasses. These low-cost glasses restrict the amount of light that comes into your eye, producing the illusion that the images you are seeing are three-dimensional.                      

Many 3-D movies are exceptionally popular, such as James Cameron’s Avatar (one of the highest grossing films of all time) and Tim Burton’s Alice in Wonderland. However, not everyone seems to prefer 3-D over regular movies.

“I don’t really like 3-D movies because its [the theatres] always filled, so I have to sit in the front which gives me headaches”, says Senior David Tao. “I think it’s a good idea, but it’s too expensive”.

While 3-D movies are praised as a ‘revolution’ in modern cinema, there are many who consider them to be just an eyesore, or unnecessary.

“I don’t really like that sometimes the 3-D effects are stupid and they are just there” remarks Sophomore Jak Scrivener.

“[When I watch a 3-D movie] I get headaches, and I get sick; as in, my stomach hurts”, says Sophomore Rachel Qualley.

3-D movies, while being a interesting new way for teenagers to view their favorite movies, are risky because they hit many teenagers where it hurts most; their wallets.
“I think the prices are a little ridiculous. Movies are already so expensive per view, and 3-D adds another 5 dollars to it”, said Qualley.

Maybe somewhere in the future there will exist vastly superior three-dimensional movies with minimal bonus cost and special effects that don’t burn the eyes of its viewers, but until then, 3-D movies provide a fun alternative to mainstream 2-D movies.