Myers does it again; The Host meets expectations

Stephenie Meyer has done it again. Following her previous well-known series, Twilight, The Host is a new adaptation of her adult sci-fi novel based around the love triangle between Melanie Stryder, Jared  and Ian O’Shea.

The movie begins as a memory for who has been captured by extraterrestrial parasites called “Souls,” which have been slowly taking over the human race. The Soul that has taken over Stryder’s body, Wanderer, sees Stryder’s many memories of her love interest, Jared, and little brother, Jamie.

Stryder, played by Saoirse Ronan, begins to fight to regain control of her body from Wanderer, and Wanderer soon gives into Stryder’s pleas and runs away from the Seeker, an extraterrestrial who is pushing Wanderer to give information about Stryder’s living family and friends.

Wanderer soon finds herself being picked up by Stryder’s uncle, Jeb, who takes her back to their home where she is isolated from the other sin fear of her bringing the Seeker to them.

While in isolation, Wanderer begins to get closer to the people living in the underground cave. Wanderer develops a relationship with Ian O’Shea, played by Jake Abel, but Stryder fights against Wanderer’s wishes, reminding her of her love for Howe, played by Max Irons, who is also living in the caves.

The storyline is very complicated because Stryder and Wanderer are both in the same body, fighting for different guys. This however is simplified for the audience so they can easily follow it.

Not only is the storyline and plot interesting but the setting of the underground cave is beautifully detailed.

The actors for this movie were chosen with excellence and they fit the roles of the book characters with ease.

The only complaint I have about this movie is that it went by too quickly; with the amount of information that was contained in the book, the movie should have showed more of those details.

This movie will entertain a wide range of viewers with its amazing graphics, sets and twists and turns.