“You lie!” sparks accusations of racism

During a session of congress on September 16, 2009 South Carolina Rep. Joe Wilson shouted out loud “You lie!” after President Obama made the statement saying “there are also those who claim that our reform efforts would insure illegal immigrants, this too is false.”

Immediately after the President’s speech, a firestorm of ‘racist’ accusations came, and even former President Jimmy Carter said on television he believes the outburst from Representative Wilson was racially motivated. He proceeded to label all the opposition to Obama’s healthcare plan to be racist as well.

We certainly must be able to get past this old argument in order to get an agreeable healthcare bill. The bill that is currently proposed offers no illegal alien healthcare. However, it also forbids hospitals and doctors from checking a person’s immigration background.  This is basically a free pass for all illegal immigrants to use what would be our new healthcare system.

So perhaps Joe Wilson was not far off the mark in saying what he said.

Or maybe he was, but whether or not President Obama is “lying”  is not the issue. The point must be stressed that this outburst was caused due to a disagreement in philosophy, not animosity for a race.

Quite frankly, Joe Wilson deserves a good reprimand for his completely inappropriate outburst, but are we really going so far as to label him a racist for it? He didn’t yell out anything at all that would be considered a racist statement. However rude his blatant disregard for respectful behavior may have been, what he said was certainly not racist.

However, once again the game is being played and the race card is being used. Personally I believe this is an attempt to distract the American public from the health care issue. Nothing in Joe Wilson’s statement had a hint of racism in it, and yet just because President Obama is bi-racial, his supporters are allowed to label a man a racist?

How absurd, to think in a country where one has free speech that they cannot truly speak freely. Of course, there is etiquette that must be show when in the government, but the race card cannot continue to be used as a valid argument against Wilson. To do so now is futile, as a half black man now occupies the highest position in American government. The “it’s because he’s black” argument no longer holds any water.