Obama favors liberal media over Fox

The road to having a bipartisan government, where Democrats and Republicans work side-by-side, is clearly not in the near future. It seems as if President Obama and the members of Congress announce everyday, that bipartisan cooperation is needed in order for things to get accomplished. And yet, the days go by, and we still have no bipartisan solution for social security, the national debt, immigration and, not to mention, health care.

I do applaud President Obama on his efforts to reach the American people by appearing on five Sunday news programs. Obama has also appeared with Jay Leno, David Letterman, and on CBS’s “60 Minutes”. But among all of the talk shows and late night laughs, the White House has excluded Fox News.

Along with ABC, NBC, CBS, and CNN, the President chose to appear on Univision’s “Al Punto, con Jorge Ramos.” Fox was less than pleased with this decision. “We figured Fox would rather show ‘So You Think You Can Dance’ than broadcast an honest discussion about health insurance reform,” White House spokesman Josh Earnest told ABC News. Fox aired the program on September 9, instead of the president’s speech to the joint session of Congress. Chris Wallace, anchor of Fox News Sunday responded on a Fox program saying, “They are the biggest bunch of crybabies I have dealt with in my 30 years in Washington.”

The chance that many people actually heard those words is unlikely, as Fox does not typically reach the liberal audience. The bigger issue is how many people are aware that Fox now seems to have a minor league status with the White House. After continuous speeches about how to unite Washington, the Presidents’ actions seem to follow a different path.

House Republican Leader John Boehner and other GOP leaders had written a letter to the White House back in May asking the administration to sit down and come up with a way to solve health care issues. The party still has not been invited to the White House to resolve this issue, as we currently are stuck in a political feud.

What message does this send to conservatives? That apparently there is less bipartisanship than we think. If the President wants members of Congress to work together, he needs to do a little more than waste all of his time talking to the media. The American people watching their TV’s on Sunday morning are not the ones trying to formulate a new health care system.

Just before his presidential debut in December, 80% of Americans believed the President could work with the opposition. That number has been decreasing ever since, and now only 60% believe he is making a sincere effort to work with the opposition, according to the Gallup Poll.

Albeit Fox has a conservative reputation when reporting the news, but if the president expects to reach all audiences, he should reconsider who he leaves off the VIP list.