‘Linsanity’ sparks stereotyping

Innate comprehension of math. Horrendous driving skills. Mastery of the piano. These are just some of the stereotypes associated with Asian people. These stereotypes and other jokes associated with the way Asians “talk-a like-a this” were always prevalent, but ESPN took it to the next level Anthony Federico, a writer for ESPN, posted a headline on the ESPN website about rising Asian-American star Jeremy Lin that read “Chink in the Armor.” The backlash was so severe that the reporter got suspended and fired and an anchor received a thirty day suspension.

According to Merriam and Webster, a “chink” is defined as a small crack or a narrow opening. Thus, when people use the word “chink,” it is a derogatory reference to the small eyes stereotype associated with Asians.

Although ESPN has retracted that statement, there are several conclusions and repercussions that can and should be learned from this. The controversy, behind the obvious racial pun, is under what circumstances is the phrase “Chink in the Armor” is acceptable, because it is a commonly used phrase to describe the weakness or opening in a team’s gameplay. Knicks Hall of Fame guard Walt Frazier has used the phrase numerous times and the phrase has been used frequently on ESPN radio. The counter argument is that the writer did not mean to use a racial pun when he wrote the headline.

However, if this is true, then either ESPN has a bunch of hate-filled racists or an inability to detect racism when talking about an Asian-American player. If it is the latter, then this is an example of how people of oriental descent and other demographics are still prone to casual discrimination in today’s society. No one would write a headline about an African-American player such as “Monkey see, Monkey do.” Why is that so? Because the mass movements and awareness from groups that have made significant strides in the civil rights movement such as the NAACP would definitively give the notion that an action like that would be too far. Asian-Americans never had a national struggle where there was overwhelming awareness and publicity in the past.

Perhaps the most unsettling thing is that this isn’t the only example of casual racism towards Lin, only the most publicized and obvious. Thousands of fans have chanted, tweeted and dubbed his nickname as “The Yellow Mamba.” Dozens of signs can be seen at every game such as “Long live Emperor Lin!” Recently, the MSG network gave screen time to a spectator-made poster, which depicted Lin as a fortune cookie and a slogan that read “The Knicks Good Fortune.” The fact that these signs and symbols of casual discrimination continue to run rampant, while ESPN nonchalantly apologizes and promptly fires the man responsible for a derogatory headline with no contribution back to the Asian community in the form of sympathy or contribution shows how far we have really fallen.

Lin has shown extreme grace in handling the situation. This is due to a level-head and, unfortunately, experience. As a Chinese-Taiwanese American, he has had to overcome racism throughout his life. The first time he attended a summer league game in San Francisco’s cPro-Am tournament, someone dismissed him while joking that he was in the wrong place for volleyball, another stereotype that Asians were not fit for basketball. At Harvard, rival teams were eager to hurl slurs at him. Lin has been so exposed to the hate that he shrugs it off. This shows either great patience on his part and that shows how detrimental this type of discrimination can be to the mindset of even the most successful individuals of a race.

This is especially true for Annandale High School students. Annandale is so diverse, that racism and discrimination is bound to happen, so racism and prejudice is heavily looked down upon. However, when there is sensationalist media and corporations trying to make profits out of extravagant headlines and merchandise, then it seems like race and feelings are ignored. Annandale students need to make a stand. Lin is famous. He is an example of a model citizen, an Ivy League graduate that can still play some serious ball. His jersey is flying off the shelves, yet he chooses not to defend himself. Dozens of sports writers have written about what Lin “represents” and what Lin “means for the future of basketball.” Everyone wants to ride the coattails of Lin, but now we will see if supporters such as the students that roam the hallways of Annandale High will protect and stand up for him as well.

His craze is not only a phenomena, it is a chance. It is a chance to show that America is ready to accept an Asian American as a figurehead of a sport. The U.S. is rapidly losing that chance. It is turning it into a lucrative game, where the lines between sensationalism and discrimination are becoming thinner and thinner. Every comment on the Internet or every person stating that Asians need to “open their eyes” only exemplifies how closed the media’s eyes are to Asian demographics and their pride as Americans.