It only takes one text

It only takes one text

The cell phone:a human source of communication, knowledge and fun. It’s hard to believe this little gadget can be so deadly – that is, until you hear a story like Taylor Sauer’s.

The 18-year-old Utah State University student was driving from campus to Caldwell, Idaho. Her phone records say that during the four hour drive she had posted every 90 seconds on facebook. Her last post: “I can’t discuss this now. Driving and facebooking is not safe! Haha,” clearly shows she knew what she was doing was dangerous.

According to her parents Clay and Shauna Sauer, she was probably texting to stay awake. Like many other teens, Taylor only meant well.

Driving 80 miles per hour in a 15 miles per hour zone, she slammed into a tanker truck and was killed on impact.

Why do so many teens still text and drive even when they know the consequences could be fatal? Cynthia Weiner, a junior at Annandale High School said, “It is because teens think they are invincible. They say, ‘It will never happen to me,’ and just disregard the facts.”

This generation of teens has become far too dependent upon the use of cellphones. Once you hear the beep of a new message, you can’t wait; you have to see it now!

According to the Children’s Hospital of  Philadelphia Research Institute, one in four Americans admits to texting while driving, and 40 percent of 12 to 17 year olds say they have been in a car with a person texting and driving; this almost quadruples crash risk.

So what can you do? Just turn off your phone while driving. If you need to send a text, wait untill you are in a safe location. Help protect your life and the lives of other drivers on the road by not texting and driving. Because that text could be your last.