There’s more to life than death

Jamileh Hamadeh, Staff Writer

In recent years, the problem of suicide has become evident, especially with teenagers. The act of suicide has made its way into popular T.V. shows and novels which have a wide reach and influence on the teenage population. 12.5% of suicides a year are committed by teenagers.

The average number of people that attempt self harm in the U.S. is around one million per year. This can mean anything from cutting or burning yourself to pulling your hair out. Many people around the world judge others by their appearance. Whether they’re “too fat”, “too skinny”, or even “too ugly”.

People attempt suicide when they’re unhappy with themselves or if they can’t find the meaning of life anymore. They feel alone and can’t find any way to help themselves, but here are some ways you can prevent someone from committing suicide.

There are plenty of ways to avoid suicide and self harm, one of which is the suicide hotline. The suicide hotline allows you to anonymously talk or text about the suicidal thoughts or issues you’re experiencing. You can reach them by calling or texting the phone number: 1-800-273-8255.

Another way to prevent suicide is surrounding yourself with supportive friends. Being with your friends can keep you more occupied and can keep reminding you that people do care about you.

Another source to prevent suicide is going to support groups. There are many suicide support groups in the U.S. and you can find many near you. Suicide support groups allow you to talk freely with others that may be experiencing similar issues.

People should never feel like they’re alone. If one of your friends is experiencing suicidal thoughts or depression, you can help them by encouraging them to seek help. Once a trusted adult is involved, all that there is left for you to do is to be there for them. Suicide is one-hundred percent preventable. Speak up if you feel that someone could be harming themselves. You could save a life.

About the Writer
Jamileh Hamadeh, Staff Writer

Freshman, Jamie Hamadeh, is a first year A-Blast staff writer. Last year, she was on Girls Club which spreads awareness about human trafficking. She’s...

1 Comment

One Response to “There’s more to life than death”

1. Victor Torrico on September 15th, 2017 1:34 pm

I really like that this is something that should be more out there because suicide is something that should be taken very serious, and i think that many people will benefit form this article.

There’s more to life than death