AHS student perspectives: A Jewish student explains

We can’t solve the problems in the Middle East. There’s no way. And the West just made it worse when we created Israel in 1948. There is nothing that makes people angrier than taking their land. In close second is a conflicting religion.

The Palestinians did not take well to the Jewish homeland and rejected the split country early on. After various wars and constant turmoil, the situation in Israel is the same as it ever was.

The Israelis want a Jewish homeland and the Palestinians want the Israelis out. To make matters worse, Israel partitioned off the Gaza Strip and, to a lesser extent, the West Bank.

Westerners wonder why it can’t work, well, to a people who still remember the Crusades of hundreds of years ago; the current situation won’t soon be forgotten. The Israelis have made themselves perennial enemies of Palestine.

So the question becomes how to keep the peace. I would propose that the people of Israel/Palestine choose one of two governmental solutions. The first one being much like the original set up in 1948 of two countries: Palestine and Israel. Palestine would be the West Bank and the Gaza Strip with some other small areas around them connected by a road. Jerusalem would become a free city.

My second idea is to have almost a split government. There would be two executive leaders, one Palestinian and the other Israeli. They would be in charge of their respective Parliaments and would jointly make decisions for the country.