The pros of Facebook

After squeezing through the gaps in bustling hallways and driving home from school, I immediately open two windows: my e-mail and my Facebook. With over 500 million users, Facebook has dominated social networking sites, with a myriad of high school and college students. I hate to admit it, but, Mark Zuckerberg’s tremendously successful brainchild is my addiction.

Upon logging on, I always scan what has notoriously been called “the stalker feed” or the constantly updating news feed that allows the user to see all of his friends’ updates. Facebook can take me anywhere, whether I want to connect with my family in California or visit my friends in Connecticut; it is always interesting to see what my Facebook friends are up to. It’s extremely easy to become connected with others; a click can lead users to encounter an inundation of photos, statuses and more. Therefore sharing information with others is extremely easy.

Almost all of my friends multitask, juggling Facebook and homework. I am no different. Widely believed to be a dangerous combination, Facebook has actually helped me with my schoolwork. For example, fellow IB English students created a Facebook group that allowed us to discuss different themes and interpretations of literary works; our dynamic discussions greatly helped us on the IOC. If students did not understand a literary work, they would simply write on the group wall, then instantly have comments from students eager to help.

Despite Facebook’s infamous reputation for causing procrastination, the social networking site’s positives outweigh its negatives because it allows the world to be connected like never before.