Diversity of the Disabled

While many students might be aware of the special education program at AHS, and seen some of the students collecting the recycle or folding newspapers, many might not realize the breadth of the program and the diversity of the conditions of the students enrolled. With approximately 330 students, the program currently provides for 13 types of disabilities, including specific learning disabilities, autism, emotional disabilities, and orthopedic impairments. As the the largest special education program in the county, the staff works to accommodate the varying abilities of all the students.

“Every student (in the special education program) has an Individualized Education Program (IEP),” Gail Grinstaff, a social worker at AHS said. “At least once a year the parents, students, case manager, and teacher discuss the students progress and needs.”

The program works carefully to ensure that students receive the attention and assistance they need, but in the least restrictive environment. There are 38 teachers in the special education program who work with the students in two class styles, self-contained and team-taught classrooms. The self-contained classes are smaller in size and are for students who would benefit from a more structured learning environment. They get direct feedback from the teacher, and one on one attention if they need it. Team taught classes are larger in size, but are not restricted to special education students. For each subject, two different teachers will be present so that students can benefit from access to the other teacher.

The idea that Special Education students have separate classes or create a “school within the school” is a common misunderstanding.

“In the team taught classes, no one knows who’s in the Special Education Program, and who’s not,” Grinstaff said.

The teacher believe the class style can benefit general education students as well.

Students can also be in the special education program, but only take general education classes. These students get access to the school psychologist and social workers to cope with emotional or organizational disabilities, but have the ability to take whatever classes and electives they would like.

“The goal is for the students to have success with a limited amount of support,” said Grinstaff. If necessary, the program also helps work with the teacher’s of these students to understand their IEPs and how best to help the students succeed.

The re-evaluation every three years also allows students to test out of the program.

For students with a desire to work in the special education program, they can join the peer helpers program. Created three years ago, the program allows general education students inside a special education classroom, and has them work with a different class each quarter. “They get experience serving students with a variety of needs to the benefit of both the student and themselves,” Grinstaff said. The peer helpers, who sign up through the program through their guidance counselor, are required to keep a journal throughout the year, and eventually teach a lesson part way through the second semester.

“Students who are peer helpers need responsibility, initiative, and empathy,” Grinstaff said. “Not everyone is able to do this.”

Like their mentors, students enrolled in the special education program are normal teenagers who work to receive a standard education while maintaining a social life.

While the level of difficulty might be modified depending on the class, students are exposed to all subjects including developmental reading, science, music, and history.

“These guys are teenagers, and they pull all the same things that (general education) students do,” Melissa Ainsworth, a special education teacher, said. “They have their friends, their girlfriends and boyfriends, and their fights too.”

Special education students also have a prom at the end of year. It is because of all these strengths that the program has such a positive reputation and serves as a cluster site for low incident students.

“When people talk about the diversity at Annandale, they should also recognize the diversity of abilities in addition to race, which is what makes this a highly unique school.”