Inside the mind of a time management professional

Unlike many students at AHS, Junior Leila Soulen does not struggle with procrastination.

“I don’t procrastinate; that way, I have less stress. It’s not really that I avoid procrastination, I just mentally don’t do it. Unless I have a really good reason for why I can’t get something done right at that moment, I immediately do it to avoid feeling guilty.”

6:00 a.m.

The alarm clock goes off and Soulen wakes up and gets ready for school.

7:18 a.m.

Soulen arrives to school on time.

“I always arrive about two minutes before class starts, so I don’t do my homework during the segment before the school day begins.”

W2

Soulen walks into HOA (History of the Americas) to start off her school day. She often gets readings for homework, which she always turns in on time.

Atom Time

Soulen uses her free time wisely by completing her homework.

“I usually do my HOA homework during Atom Time right after the class it is assigned; that way, I get it done and I don’t have to do it later. If I finish with HOA, I will talk with friends because I usually don’t have homework that needs to be done that doesn’t involve a computer.”

W6

Soulen spends time in IB Environmental Systems.

“We don’t get much homework in this class, but I usually do my homework the day it is assigned unless it is a project.”

W8

Soulen ends her day with IB Spanish. She often completes her Spanish homework the day it is assigned.

After school

Soulen is involved in some clubs and extracurricular activities, but they often don’t get in the way of her homework time, with the exceptions of Thursdays. Thursdays are the days she has TOK (Theory of Knowledge) after school from 3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. She also often goes swimming with her sister afterwards at seven.

“I need to make sure I have my homework done ahead of time because I don’t have time to get homework done on Thursdays.”

2:45 p.m.

The time that Soulen normally gets home from school.

2:50 p.m.

The time Soulen often starts her homework.

“On most days when I get home, I’ll get a snack and do my homework; that way, I can relax after that.”

10:00 p.m.

By this time Soulen has finished her work and is ready to go to bed.