Slowly fixing our inequities

Slowly fixing our inequities

Oct. is a busy month. Tomorrow alone hosts an important call for awareness–National Coming Out Day. In fact, Oct. as a whole is Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) History Month. In a country in which, according to the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network (GLSEN), nine out of ten students reporting themselves as LGBT were harassed for their sexual orientation, such efforts to raise awareness about these issues are extremely important.

ESOL teacher and Gay-Straight Alliance (GSA) sponsor Bethany Slingerland recognizes the importance of National Coming Out Day in the context of the current milieu at AHS. The GSA plans to commemorate National Coming Out Day in order to help AHS students questioning their own sexuality feel safe.

“[Although there have been] positive changes, we still have a long way to go as a school community. There is still a lot of homophobic language in the halls, such as ‘that’s so gay’ to mean ‘that’s so stupid,’” Slingerland said. “The people making these comments may not think they are saying anything harmful, but this language perpetuates the homophobia that unfortunately has been entrenched in our society for too long.”According to the the Human Rights Campaign (HRC), National Coming Out Day began in 1987 during which 500,000 Americans participated in the March on Washington for Lesbian and Gay Rights. It has since evolved from a day dedicated to fostering a safe environment for those wishing to declare their sexuality into a day raising awareness about the LGBT community. Every year, the HRC announces a theme to compliment the day, choosing “Come out. Vote” as its theme this year. In an election year such as this, the LGBT community wants to demonstrate its mass and influence in order to remind this country’s presidential candidates about their own desires and wishes.

However, within LGBT History Month, GLSEN has constructed and fostered a week dedicated to “Ally Week.” During this particular week, which will fall this year between Oct. 18-22, GSA clubs around the country seek to raise awareness about sexual orientation-based bullying by celebrating students of all sexual orientations who oppose the use of homophobic slurs and harassment in schools.

“As a group, we usually focus on Ally Week in October,” said Slingerland. “Ally Week, held Oct. 15 to Oct. 19 is a nationally-recognized week to celebrate those who create a safe space in schools and to educate students on how to support their LGBT classmates.” Slingerland added that the GSA will be putting up educational fliers about the week and the LGBT community, as well as selling rainbow pride ribbons so that AHS students can show their support.

“In my five years as sponsor, I have seen gradual improvements in the overall climate at Annandale High School,” Slingerland said. “Many classrooms and offices in this building have visible “Safe Space” cards pledging to keep that room a safe space for all students. I also hear more faculty speaking up about stopping bullying in their classrooms, particularly bullying that targets sexual orientation.”

Ultimately, days such as National Coming Out Day help the GSA “ to educate the school population by debunking misconceptions and fostering more tolerance in our school community,” Slingerland said. “For all of the advances that have been made in LGBT rights, there is still much more work to be done.”