AHS Prepares for the Just World Festival

Students are filled with anxiety and excitement as they diligently prepare for one of AHS’ most prized events: the annual Just World Festival.

According to AHS science teacher and co-sponsor of the Just World Festival Kimberly Becraft, the festival’s main goal is to inform others about issues around the world and “encourage them to become better global citizens.”

There are many AHS clubs that are preparing for this event, such as Just World, STAND, Animal Advocates and many others. Many students are attending training sessions in which they can sign up to work and help during the festival and are taught effective speaking skills. “I’m attending the training sessions and doing whatever I can in preparing the Animal Advocates with their exhibits,” said junior Duc Nguyen.

The festival will strive to inform others about issues and cultures around the world, but it will do so in a fun environment. The festival will have delicious food, workshops, yoga, henna tattoos, dancing, markets and entertaining dances; all of which are conveniently free. The festival attracts some 500 attendees from different schools, most of who come from the mid-Atlantic region. “It would be really fun to know more information about general topics. I think it’s going to be really fun,” said freshman Ismail el Boukri.

“We worked really hard to get a special key note speaker. It’s Ohio congressman Dennis J. Kucinich and Andy Shallal,” said Becraft.

The festival is on Friday, February 26, 2010 and will begin at 2 p.m. and end at 7 p.m.