Students Reflect on the Chilean Earthquake

Weeks after a 7.0-magnitude earthquake hit Haiti, tragedy struck in Chile when an 8.8-magnitude earthquake hit Concepcion, the countries’ second largest city. The earthquake struck on February 27, leaving more than 800 people dead and many more wounded. “More than 120 aftershocks of 5.0 magnitude or greater have hit Chile since Saturday’s earthquake,” said USGS geophysicist, Don Blakeman.

“I think it’s ironic that two natural disasters occurred one after another, but all I can do is try to help through donation and wish them best in their journey for survival,” said junior Drea Vega .

The Virginia Task Force 1, a domestic and international disaster response resource, recently returned from Haiti and is now headed to Chile to help victims with relief efforts.

“It was worse than the Haiti earthquake, so I think they deserve as much help that Haiti received, if not more,” said junior Gabby Hankinson.

Many students at AHS are planning to help both of the countries. “I feel terrible, especially for those who have lost loved ones due to the quake,” said Drea Vega.

“I want to raise money for Chile by selling bracelets like we did for Haiti,” said sophomore Jason Antezana.

The earthquake has been personally devastating for junior Patty Zamora. “Thankfully none of my relatives got hurt but my grandparents’ house got a little damaged,” said Zamora. “We’re probably going to send money over there and some of my family is going over there to help out.”

This most recent disastrous earthquake has proved to be very damaging; in the meantime students are doing whatever they can to help the countries stricken by disaster in this last month.