Spring break travel warnings for Mexico

The Department of State recently released a statement warning those who plan to go to certain areas in Mexico in the near future. The statement was released around this time because many students from the U.S. go to Mexico for spring break.

With the weather getting warmer and the snow melting away, students are getting excited that spring break is just around the corner. Many students are getting ready to go on vacation.

“I’m going to rural New Jersey and Philadelphia with my family,” said sophomore Anarosa Garcia.  Though many students plan on staying within the country, there arethose who are going out. Depending on which city they plan on staying in, those who plan on going to Mexico should definitely think twice about going. According to Travel.State.gov, “The Department of State has issued this Travel Warning to inform U.S. citizens traveling to and living in Mexico of concerns about the security situation in Mexico, and that it has authorized the departure of the dependents of U.S. government personnel from U.S. consulates in the Northern Mexican border cities of Tijuana, Nogales, Ciudad Juarez, Nuevo Laredo, Monterrey and Matamoros until April 12.”

“I heard on the radio today that in Cancun and other popular tourist areas, resorts, are secure. So, it’s not a problem,” said math teacher Judy Fisher.

Though it may not be a problem in certain resort areas, cities like Ciudad Juárez are extremely dangerous. According to The New York Times, around March 14, gunmen who were supposedly affiliated with drug traffickers shot a pregnant American consulate worker and her husband in the town of Ciudad Juarez. The same gunmen had killed another man and his two young children.

“I think it’s probably warranted because of the recent violence between the drug cartels, the police, and the government. They’re basically having a war,” said math teacher Bruce Fisher.

Students seem to agree that following the released warnings would be a wise decision.“They should listen to the warnings because it could save your life. I don’t think they should go to Mexico, they should stay here or go somewhere else,” said Garcia.

The warm weather and the desperate need to simply have fun and let loose during spring break can sometimes conquer one’s sense of wise decision making. Hopefully, the statement is an enough incentive to not go to said cities in Mexico. Though, there are other cities in Mexico that are nice and secure.

“I have been to Mexico. It was on a cruise and it was nice, but I saw impoverished people and drunk tourists fighting. That was interesting,” said Ko.

In general, students should always be cautious about where ever they go for vacation. And according to recent reports and warnings, students should be especially cautious if they are in Mexico.