Flood In Pakistan Leaves Thousands Homeless

Senior Syid Ali worries for his distant family caught in the flood back in Pakistan.

After nearly two months of massive flooding that hit Pakistan, the damage is still being felt.
Aid camps are struggling to keep the victims orderly in addition to distributing food and care. The Pakistani people are trying to adapt to their temporary lives while their homes and lands are devastated.

Heavy monsoon rain sparked the disaster of which has now been the cause of at least 1,600 deaths. The flooding had reached from the northwest tip of Pakistan to the southern end. The damage is the worst they have had in their history as 500,000 people were displaced from their homes and an overall 20 million affected. 17 million acres of crop land and 200,000 livestock were destroyed by the flooding. And, since the farmers cannot meet the deadline to sow seeds in 2010, there will be food shortages in 2011 as well.
“My wife donated money to relief organizations. I think giving money to reputable aid organizations is good,” said Stratton Shartel, an AHS social studies teacher.

In addition to food shortages, the floods have damaged an estimated 2,433 miles of highway and 3,508 miles of railway. The people of Pakistan hadn’t seen this sort of thing in 80 years. Many Pakistanis have become agitated by the state they are in. They chastise the government for not doing better. The Pakistani people are not alone though, the United Nations has received money from various nations, especially the United States, to aid Pakistani relief efforts.  They have already received the two-thirds of the $459 million that was requested in August. Another appeal will be asked onSeptember 17. Not only are governments helping out but average men and women around the world are donating their money and efforts also.
The flooding has crushed not only their physical homes and livelihoods, but their spirits as well. The timing of the most important Muslim holiday, Ramadan, where believers participate in fasting from dawn to sunset and other Islamic traditions, was especially rough.

“I have distant family there. I think it’s sad that it happened, especially since it was during Ramadan and now Eid. I tried to show my support by going to a fundraising dinner and donating some of my clothes; I know it’s a hard struggle,” said senior Syid Ali.
Additionally, the Taliban have stated that the flooding was God’s punishment unto them for accepting secular leaders. Moreover, the flooding has paved the way for Taliban insurgency. Military forces are busy healing with the relief effort. During this vunerable period, some believe that the Pakistani Taliban could rise. Some Pakistanis are getting annoyed by their government and other nations. They say they are not getting enough help or food. When the food deliveries come by people rush to get what they can and some are left behind. The International Labour Organization reported on September 7 that around 5.3 million jobs have been lost because of the massive floods.

“I think we should encourage people to help out,” said sophomore Tehniat Zheert.
Hopeful spirits like Tehniat offer some positivity in these dim events.