Demonstrators in Tibet remind AHS students how much they value their First Amendment Rights

Students may not be aware of it with the various rules that restrict their behavior in school, but they have many freedoms that they practice every day. Americans have what are called First Amendment Rights, rights given to them in the First Amendment of the Constitution that are: freedom of religion, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, the right to assemble, and the right to petition. It is hard to imagine living in a country without the right to practice your religion freely or to read a newspaper that cannot criticize the government, but it is possible. In fact, it takes place all over the world.

On October 19th, students in Tibet, China protested a new policy in their school that limits the use of the Tibetan language. Students took to the streets, chanting “We want equality of culture,” as they marched in Tongren County in Huangnan Autonomous Prefecture. According to The Chinese government, 800 students demonstrated. However, the activist group, Free Tibet, says that 4,000 to 6,000 students protested.

“Think of all the enjoyment and information we’d be deprived of.”

Sophomore Daniel Jessen was fortunate to attend the experience of a lifetime, attending an Obama rally at the University of Mary Washington. His father is part of the press that covered the rally (TV2 Belgium), so Daniel got one of the best seats in the house.           “Well you know how it is,  it’s crowded, not in the box, but the first part of the rally was just being there,” said Jessen.  “The candidates weren’t exactly on time, probably stuck in rally traffic. Even though it was maybe a few hours before they arrived, it was great to be standing in the box at an Obama rally. But there was a rainstorm that day. In fact, it stormed before they got there and we were pushed under the press tent. It happened maybe twice.

“It felt great to be at a rally supporting Obama. Hearing Joe Biden Speak was amazing, it was like watching Mr. Valentino go out on my sister, Jenny, during class my freshman year,” Jessen added. “I loved every word he said. Now when Obama spoke, things got good. He said the same kinds of things, but you know, in his way of talking really cool. When it started to rain, he was on the prosperity part and he said ‘the reps think if they give tax cuts to the high class that prosperity will just trickle down like this rain.’ That’s not even the best part. My dad got it all on video and I was able to shake both Obama and Biden’s hand.

“I’d be extremely ticked if no rallies were allowed. Without rallies or assemblies, campaigning would be cheaper, and a lot more boring.

“I would be furious because I can’t say how I feel, the religion is give or take if you follow history, and we would have no daily show with Jon Stewart. Think of all the enjoyment and information we’d be deprived of. Every news station would be completely biased towards our government when every act would appear to be a cover up for the last.

“When I’m able to express the freedoms given to me, I feel just that. Free. I like having an opinion. It makes me feel like I have a voice in our society, at least in our school,” said Jessen.

“Freedom is what I live for and probably would die for as well.”

Sophomore Paul Helfgott was able to express his right to assemble by attending a rally about gun control in D.C.

“The rally was in D.C. and was about gun control. It was called the Million Mom March, but many other people came as well. I went to it when I was a little younger,” said Helfgott.

The Million Mom March is a mission devoted to keeping America free from violence by working to pass and enforce federal and state gun laws.

“There were lots of people with signs and all the pretty generic things that happen at rallies,” said Helfgott. “People had shirts that had pictures of guns with flowers in the barrels. That was the logo of the march.”

Students often neglect to think of the rights they earn by being a citizen, but it becomes even more difficult to imagine not having their rights at all.

“If I didn’t have my freedoms and rights I would be pissed because freedom is what I live for and probably would die for as well.

“When I’m able to express my freedoms and rights I feel empowered and grateful because I know some people in other countries don’t have those same rights. I also feel like I’m making a difference.”