J’étudie à l’étranger

Students choose to go on a new experience and travel far for college and “study abroad.” Seniors Margot Henric and Josh Jean-Jacques share their plans for the future.

Margot Henric will travel to France.

Q: Do you attend AHS during the school year but return to a certain country every summer?
A: I live here, but my family lives in France. So I go visit my aunt and uncle in Paris every summer. On my dad’s side, they live down south near Spain at the beach. So, when I visit my grandma who lives up north France, i work at the beach.

Q: Who do you stay with while you live in the U.S.?
A: My mom and my dad live here with me. I’ve been doing this ever since I was eight.

Q: Why do you return to France and Spain every summer?
A: My parents wanted to continue our french culture. They don’t want me to forget how to speak french or my heritage, or where I come from. It’s like I open a drawer in my mind everytime I go back there.

Q: Do you ever miss your family in France and Spain?
A: Oh yea. I miss them a lot. I have a lot of friends there. One of my friends, who works with me on the beach, is coming this spring break for two weeks. She’s never been to America. In fact, I think Im going to bring her to school.

Q: Do you just visit France and Spain, or do you visit other countries?
A: I go to tons of places. I’ve been to Germany, italy, switzerland, austria, and many other places. But mainly I go back to France and Spain.

Q: Is it just you who returns to France every year?
A: I go by myself. But in this past year, I’ve brought my best friend with me.

Josh Jean-Jacques will travel to Belgium.

Q: Where are you going for college?
A: I’m going to Nemur, Belgium for culinary school.

Q: What made you want to study in Belgium?
A: I think it will be a good experience and it will help me in the long-run in landing a job. I also have a lot of friends and family there.

Q: Have you visited Belgium before? And did you go alone or with family?
A: Yeah, I have gone 3 times in the past 3 summers. The most recent time was this previous summer when I went and stayed with my family friend for a month. I usually go alone but last time my mom and brother came during the last week of my stay.

Q: Do you think it will be difficult adjusting to a new way of life?
A: Of course, everything is difficult at first. It helps that I can speak French fluently and have visited many times before. It will take some time before I can adjust but I dont think I can ever really fully adapt to the Belgian ways.

Q: Do you have any fears or concerns on going to a new country?
A: I’m sad to leave my family and friends and basically have to start over. My main concern is just living completly on my own in a new, foreign place.

Q: What are you most looking forward to while there?
A: I’m looking forward to exploring the country and spending quality time with my friends. I’m also really excited for the Belgian chocolate and waffles!