Are you in the know?

In a school filled with an assortment of races, one would infer that the students would be, at the least, slightly informed on the current events taking place around the world. However, when several students were asked to name people significant to incidents taken place recently, only a few amount of students could name them successfully.

“I’m so busy with homework that I don’t have time to catch up with current events,”sophomore Jazmine Go

mez said. “Even if I had time [to watch the news], it doesn’t affect me at all.”

But with such a heterogeneous population, students are not aware that current events have a major impact on them. It all started when my step-father and two sisters went to Egypt last January. Two days after they arrived, the rebels had gathered and held protests all over Egypt. Although American citizens were allowed out of Egypt immediately, my step-father, as an Egyptian citizen, was not allowed to leave.  If I had not kept up-to-date, I would have never had been able to find out if/when he was able to come back home.

Oddly enough, if students are aware of current events, they are usually not from credible news sources, but from social networking sites such as Facebook or Twitter.

“I found out about Hurricane Irene and Steve Jobs dying on my Twitterfeed,” sophomore Aysha Ghaffar said. “Other than that, I don’t really look for news.”

Students  aren’t up-to-date when it comes to current events. If students fail to become aware of international current events, our future generation will feel unaffected by things that happen to them.