Season of Celebration

Season of Celebration

When the weather suddenly seems to drop 50 degrees, the trees become bare, Thanksgiving leftovers are at their ends and lights seem to outline every house on the street, it is clear that the holiday season has arrived.

For the AHS community, the season is marked by holidays and traditions from around the world.

Many will celebrate Christmas, which is arguably the most anticipated holiday of the year, on Dec. 25.

“My parents are Catholic so we celebrate Christmas; I’m excited to get presents!”  sophomore Gabrielle Montes De Oca said.

The holiday spirit is alive throughout the halls of AHS, as gift lists are being checked off, and Christmas trees lit and decorated.

Due to the diversity of AHS, many students celebrate Christmas through their own traditions and cultures.

“In South Asia, Christian women put henna on their hands in celebration of Christmas,” sophomore Elisha Musih said.

“I’m excited to cook great Spanish food with my parents,”  sophomore Herson Palma, who is originally from El-Salvador, said.

But Christmas isn’t the only holiday celebrated by students. For the Jewish population of AHS, Hanukkah is just as anticipated. Known as the Festival of Lights, Hanukkah is an eight day Jewish holiday commemorating the creation of the Second Temple, also known as “The Holy Temple,” in Jerusalem.

“It’s [Hanukkah] around Christmas time, and I get to spend time with my family,” health teacher Gabe Romano said.

For many Muslims, the holiday season ended last month with Eid Al-Adha; however, the holiday spirit is still alive. A very important Muslim holiday, Eid Al-Adha, is celebrated by Muslims worldwide in honor of Abraham’s obedience and willingness to sacrifice his son, Ishmael, before God intervened by sending down a sheep to be sacrificed instead.

“I personally don’t like Eid Al-Adha because it’s about killing a sheep, but I can understand what it’s about and why people celebrate it,” sophomore Mariam Hassan said. “[I went to this] little fair at a community center for kids with disabilities so they can celebrate it too.”

In mid-January, junior Ashley Lok and many others will celebrate the much-anticipated Chinese New Year, which marks the beginning of the year and is China’s most important holiday.

Families spend time with one another to celebrate the holiday, which also marks the end of the winter season and the transition into the spring season.

“The house is usually already decorated with different signs. My parents, aunts and uncles give me envelopes on Chinese New Y ear,” Lok said.

For many Hindus, mid-September to mid-December is the time for Diwali.  Also known as the festival of lights, Diwali is celebrated by thousands of people in southern   Asia to commemorate Mahavira attaining nirvana.

“I am excited, because I get to spend time with my family and friends, and eat a lot of food.” sophomore Rajit Bhangu said

As the season progresses, many are finding themselves highly anticipating the upcoming holidays.

Whether Christmas, Hanukkah, Eid, New Years, or any other holiday lights are being lit up, houses decorated, and celebrations beginning. From all over the world AHS is truly experiencing the holiday season.