Palestine affects student’s self

Freshmen Summer Ayoub
Shamaim Syed
Freshmen Summer Ayoub

Nearly everything you’ve been led to believe about Gaza is wrong. Here are few point that will clarify the situation.
The last time I was in Palestine was 3 years ago, the people were so nice, but the towns weren’t as nice as they were before the war in December of 2008.
The war of 2008 with Palestine and Israel wasn’t only affecting the people in Palestine but their families that lived in other countries around the world.
The Palestinian people are loving and caring people. Even if you weren’t related to them try would invite you into their house, as if they’ve known you forever.
As I was standing in the streets of Palestine, I saw little girls and boys playing outside. The men of the families all gathered together having a good time. While their wives were inside making sweets and food for their families. The Palestinians are different than any other citizens in the world. We (the Palestinians) are people with rights, and have no problem being in peace.
The population of Gaza exceeds 1.5 million people, jammed in roughly 140 square miles, which is approximately 1/3 the size of Fairfax County.
Most of these Gazans come from towns and villages inside of Israel. Like Ashkelon and Beersheba driven by the Israeli army in 1948.
In 1967, Israel occupied Gaza. They departed in the year of 2005. Israel still controls all entrances from the sea and from land.
During that war, Israel is unlawfully using white phosphorus bombs on Palestinians as stated in the Human Rights Watch.
On November 13th 2012, Israeli F16 Fighter Jets bombed one of Gaza’s military leaders. That’s how the war all started.
Israeli forces attacked the Gazans for 8 continuous days with nonstop bombing from air, sea and land, killing over 160 Palestinians; more than half of them were children. This attack injured more than 500. Thousands of homes were destroyed with the excuse that there were terrorists in there.
On the other hand, the Palestinian people had to defend themselves. As it has been since 1948, by launching locally made rockets toward Israeli military bases and cities.
I am an American-Palestinian, the daughter of a Palestinian refugee born in Lebanon, and have a grandfather who was kicked out of historical Palestine in 1948. I strongly believe that the Palestinians have the right to defend themselves against the continuous aggression of the Israeli forces.
What does the world expect from us, getting bombed, getting killed whenever the Israeli’s feel like it.
Before 1948, there was no such thing called Israel. The Israeli’s came from all over the world, and we are called the terrorists because we defend ourselves.
YES! You’re asking we want to live in peace and we love peace. But how can you live in peace when Israel and its forces keep killing us.
As an Israeli journalist, Amira Hass, wrote that Gaza is not a military power that attacked its tiny, peace-loving neighbor, Israel. Gaza is a territory that Israel occupied in 1967, along with the West Bank. Its residence is part of the Palestinian people, which lost its land and its homeland in 1948.
As Israeli ex-prime minister Golda Meir said, “How can I sleep knowing there is a pregnant Palestinian woman ready to give birth to a baby.”
Finally, as ex-Israeli defense minister, Moshe Dayan, said. “Before (the Palestinians) very eyes, we are possessing the land and the villages where they, and their ancestors, have lived… We are the generation of colonizers, and without the steal helmet and the gun barrel we cannot plant a tree and build a home.”
Yes my friends, we (the Palestinians) want peace. DO THEY?