The Difference between El Salvador and the United States

Iliana+Martinez+
Shamaim Syed
Iliana Martinez

I never imagined how different the U.S. is from my country, El Salvador. When I came here, I was so happy but I didn’t know how different everything would be. I have many things to say about the differences between my country and the U.S.A., but the most important differences are the language, the laws and the weather.

In my country we speak Spanish, and when I came here, it was so difficult to communicate with everyone. Spanish is such a beautiful language, but in the U.S., you need to speak English to be able to get a better job and have a better life. I have been here one and a half years so I can speak some English. I’m so happy to be able to communicate and be a better student.

In my country life is harder, but the laws are easier. In the U.S. there are many laws that I never imagined existed. In my country, if you don’t go to school, that’d be okay. It did not matter. You are free to want what you want. Here in the U.S, it is a law to go to school every day. Also in the U.S. it is a law to keep your city clean. In my country nobody worries about it.

When I came here from my country, it was summer, but here it was winter. That was really hard for me to understand. I really had never seen winter weather before. In my country the weather changes only two
 times a year.

For me it was so difficult to adapt to four types of weather in the U.S. That was because I had to bundle up with heavy coats to adapt to the U.S. weather.
For me, coming from El Salvador, it was difficult to adjust to life in 
America because of the language, the laws, and the weather. I think
there are many things to adapt to in the U.S. from my experience. Also, I think that both countries are beautiful, yet at the same time, they are very different.