How to prepare an outstanding Egusi Soup
Egusi Soup is a fat and rich seed protein dish. It is thickened with the ground seeds and popular in West Africa.
Ingredients you will need:
2 TSP Crayfish
Half TSP Salt
125ml of Palm Oil
1 Tin Tomato
1 Stock cube
Dried Ugwu(Fluted Pumpkin Seeds)
120g Egusi, 1 Onion and 1 Scotch bonnet
How to prepare it :
- Place your pot on the stove and add 125ml of palm oil into the pan. Allow that to melt until a hot smoke is present, then a blended mixture of tomato paste.
- If you fancy prawns, stock fish, smoked mackerel or mussels go for it and add it at this point.
- Add 2 stock cubes of your choice, half a teaspoon of salt stir and allow it to cook for 7 minutes.
- To prepare the egusi pour it into a bowl then crack your egg into it. Add 2 TSP of crayfish and mix together to form a thick paste. Set it aside.
- Your pot of egusi soup should be boiling at this point. Scoop a mixture of the egusi and drop it into the stew in chunks. Do not worry about the clumps you can break them as you go (Add Iru / locust beans) if you desire. Allow that to cook.
- To now prepare the ugwu add hot water to let it soak for 1 to 2 minutes then drain. This would soften the ugwu and make it easier for you to use.
- Break some lumps in the stew if some are to be big. Have a taste.
- Add your ugwu and stir. Lower your heat and allow that to simmer for a good 5 minutes. Check your meal and after that decide if it needs more time depending on taste.
- Plate your meal and set it aside for 2 minutes and serve, you can now enjoy an egusi soup meal.