Band citrus fundraiser begins

AHS Band Boosters is currently throwing their annual citrus sale. The fundraiser benefits towards things like their instruments and transportation buses for marching band competitions.

This year the citrus sale is being run by Mary Knenlein. Her daughter Sarah is currently a sophomore at AHS. Like her daughter, this is Knenlein’s second year being involved in the band and marching band programs.

All band and color guard students are to sell the navel oranges and red grapefruit, provided by Florida Indian River Groves. “I think it’s good because we are selling fruit instead of candy.” said Knenlein, “It’s healthier than candy, so we can feel better about selling it to our friends.”

Knenlein, her daughter and the band director, Mark Carter, gave a speech to each of the band classes about the citrus sale. They provided all of the information essential for selling the fruit, along with cautiously advising the students to not sell anything to homes of people they do not know. Also, students were informed to not go out fund raising alone to promote safety.

This year the Band Boosters are using a website as an additional source of selling the merchandise. The web site is used for credit card purchases. The Band Boosters are hoping that the website will significantly increase their income. Last year the band had a net profit of $4,000 and a gross profit of $8,000. This left the band with a total of $4,000 to put towards their necessities.

Also new to the citrus sale this year is the participation of the guard. Danielle Turner, a sophomore on guard said, “It’s different, and some people don’t like fund raising. But at the same time whether or not it seems like it, we’re part of the band and we need to support it too.” Every band member recently received a packet for the sale and will be working to raise money for their activities.

Senior Salinna So organizes citrus sales for the AHS band.