IB Curriculum Night a success

The IB Diploma Program is often a daunting topic for students at AHS, which is why so many events are held to explain the program to students and parents and encourage participation. One such event, officially called the IB Parent Night Informational Meeting, was held February 23 from 7 to 9 p.m.

The event began in Clausen Hall, where parents and students were given a schedule for the night and a number of handouts detailing possible paths to the IB diploma. Then, after a short welcome by Assistant Principal Pamela Brumfield, the meeting went straight to business.

The first to present was IB MYP coordinator Christy Loop, who talked about the MYP program and certificate available to all 9th and 10th graders. Next to speak was Shirley Campbell, Annandale’s new IB DP Coordinator.

Campbell, who took over the position not long ago, seemed happy with the event: “I think it’s wonderful because it gives parents the chance for a firsthand experience to see what it’s like in terms of a day in the life of an IB student.”

To get this firsthand knowledge, however, parents not only talked to Campbell herself, but to a number of diploma students in attendance.

“We also had current IB diploma students so parents could speak with them and get a personalized perspective of how they deal with the challenges and rigors of IB,” she said.

Following these students’ insights and some quick parent questions, the group was dismissed to several “break-out” sessions. Parents could attend any or all of the four sessions, which represented the four core classes.

In these sessions, IB teachers talked about the different courses available and provided handouts for these classes. Parents were also given the benefit of being able to ask more curriculum-specific questions in their smaller groups. Then, after a fifteen-minute presentation, they could move on to the next session.

History teacher Mary Ann Richardson was just one of the IB teachers involved in the “break-out” sessions. “I’ve taught IB since the beginning of the program here at Annandale and not only has the program gotten stronger, but students who have graduated and gone on to college have been high achievers in their fields,” she said. Richardson also said that many of these students have credited the IB program for their success in college.

Meanwhile, sophomore Jak Scrivener found the event worth attending, but believed that it could have been a little bit more in-depth. “It was somewhat helpful, but it was a lot more basic information than I thought it would be,” he said. “It seemed like it would be useful for people learning about IB for the first time or moving into high school.”

Indeed it would seem to someone who has attended a majority of the IB meetings, as Scrivener has.  But to a new student it would certainly have been a great help in learning about the IB Diploma Program and its requirements. And for many, that is the first step in becoming an IB diploma candidate and working towards a better tomorrow.