AHS boundaries redrawn

As the bell rings, signaling the change of classes, over 2600 students flood the halls. Navigating through the cramped passageways of the school is a chore for students and teachers alike, and has been a big problem for the past several years as AHS becomes increasingly overcrowded. However, thanks to recent action of the FCPS School Board, this will change. Come June, about 200 members of the classes of 2012 and 2013 will no longer call AHS their base school.

In order to help the soon-to-be moved students transition into their new learning
environments, Steve Sengstack, AHS’ Director of Student Services held a meeting last Thursday to discuss the coming changes to students heading to Lake Braddock. “I wish everyone who wanted to could say,” said Sengstack, addressing the group of about 50 students, “but unfortunately that is not an option.” After being met with a myriad of questions about exceptions which would allow students to remain at AHS, Sengstack went on to explain that all rising seniors had the option of staying. However, only rising juniors “pursuing the IB diploma, meaning they are scheduled to take three higher level and three standard level classes as well as Theory of Knowledge and have an approved sequence of courses from their counselor” will be allowed to remain at AHS. The other two groups of students who are members of the classes of 2012 and 2013 that will be allowed to stay Annandale next year are those enrolled in Arabic, those with parents working at AHS or a feeder middle school, or those who have been pupil placed.
Students impacted by the changes also have mixed feelings about the move. Sophomore Sarah Knenlin, who is scheduled to be moved to Falls Church, is hoping to be able to stay.  “When I found out I was being reassigned, I was very upset,” said Knenlin. “I had a lot of questions and I didn’t believe that they would actually make me go to a different school.” However, Knenlin is one of the few rising juniors who may be able to stay, thanks to her status as an IB diploma candidate. While she was uncertain of her intentions before, “this boundary change just made it official.”
Others are taking the impending move in stride. Freshman Boris Mewborn, who is also scheduled to attend Falls Church next year says that he isn’t too concerned because he has many friends who will also be attending the school. He even claimed to be excited by the change, saying, “I will be taking a foreign language other than what Annandale offers, Japanese!”
In April of 2009, the school board announced that it would conduct a boundary study and in June a series of public hearings to determine the way to deal with the exorbitant student population. After these forums, which occurred right at the end of the 2009-2010 calender year, it was decided that over 200 students would be moved to Lake Braddock High School and Falls Church High School in the fall of 2010.
Tessie Wilson, who represents the Braddock District on the school board is hopeful that the changes will help to alleviate the cramped conditions. However, she admits that the boundaries will need further altering in order to fully resolve the problem. “It will be a partial solution, not a total solution,” says Wilson of the change coming this fall.  “But moving initial 225 you’ll see it in your lunch periods, it wont be as hard for students moving through the hall.” However, some students aren’t convinced that this will have a significant impact on the crowded conditions,
“Moving out 225 kids only gets you like 50 less kids in each lunch. Big whoop,” said senior MC Larme, who transferred to the school as a junior from Thomas Jefferson High School. “They always told us that TJ was overcrowded but it was nothing compared to this.”

According to Wilson, the School Board will reexamine the population after these 225 students are moved and assess the effects. She believes that the board “will look at it and make adjustments,” and, if all goes according to plan, “have [further] changes take place in the fall of the 2012.”