Good grades pay off at Ice Cream Social

Every quarter students work hard to get good grades and impress both their parents and peers without much incentive to do well in class. Some parents pay their children for success; other kids simply work hard with the future in mind. However, there are also a few ways that Annandale encourages its students to do well in class.

One of these is the Ice Cream Social, held three times during the year for those awarded “Student of the Quarter” by their teachers. And since most teachers do hand out these awards, they serve as incentives for students to do well and possibly be rewarded with free ice cream.

The third and final of these Ice Cream Socials was held today, Monday, April 18, in the cafeteria. Those who received recognition as “Student of the Quarter” were each given a pass to attend, which they redeemed for a cup of ice cream.

With no limit on the ice cream they could have, students moved through the lines, picking up a cup of ice cream and then filling it with a wide array of toppings, ranging from chocolate and caramel sauce to rainbow and chocolate sprinkles. They then wandered around the cafeteria, looking for a place to sit or talking with their friends.

“It’s good to have an incentive for working hard for a whole nine weeks,” said freshman David Vo, who received the award in his Spanish 2 class.

Vo was selected because his grade improved the most over the past three quarters, which is a common reason for being named “Student of the Quarter.” In fact, awarding the honor based on improvement is suggested by the school, which gives a different reason for each of the three quarters. However, some teachers will give the award based on other factors, which include a student’s grade or effort in class.

“I think it’s a great way to recognize our students,” answered Principal John Ponton while serving ice cream to students. “I used to do this in college; I used to scoop ice cream. That’s why I’m so good at it,” he said jokingly.

When asked how he felt about the recognition, sophomore Richard Maku replied, “The ice cream is not the best reward you get. It is the feeling that you get from getting those good grades.”

After finishing their ice cream, students hurried off to sports practices and to meet with their teachers, fully repaid for their hard work throughout the third quarter. And as Vo put it, “Good grades are good for your brain and your stomach.”