New fall coaching lineup

For 19 years, the sound of Dick Adams’ voice coaching his football players was heard booming throughout the AHS grounds on a hot August morning. His voice was unmistakable and he became one of the most recognizable parts of the football program. This year a new voice will be heard on the field; that of Mike Scott.

“I can’t wait to get started,” said Scott, named varsity football head coach after Adams retired from the position in January. “I wish we could start practices right now and I can’t wait to get going with our summer workouts.”

Scott will be one of four new head coaches at AHS in the fall of 2010; Dave O’Hara will take over the boys varsity cross country team, Richard McCormack will return to coach the varsity golf team, and Sarita Viloria will coach the varsity cheerleading squad.

“Most of [the new coaches] were assistants for their teams before and should be able to follow right through [with the programs],” said Director of Student Activities Angelo Hilios. “They might have a new style but the success should continue.”

O’Hara was the head varsity golf coach for the past two seasons, but could not pass up the opportunity to be head boys cross country coach when he was offered the job this year.

“It was one of my all-time dreams to be a head cross country coach at the high school level,” said O’Hara. “I’m very fortunate that I was able to fulfill that dream in only my third year here.”

Coaching is not a new thing for O’Hara. Not only was he the golf coach, but he also coached previously at Centreville High School and at North Gate High School in Pittsburgh, PA. He is also an assistant coach for both indoor track and track and field here at AHS.

“I’m really looking forward to working with coach [Philip] Harris and combining our skill sets as he takes over the girls [team],” said O’Hara. “I’m also excited because a lot of guys from indoor and outdoor track are coming to cross country that I know are hard workers.”

After O’Hara filled the cross country head coaching vacancy, his former position as golf coach needed to be filled. McCormack, who was the head golf coach from 1995-2004 and JV coach in 2009, gladly accepted the position.

“I missed coaching,” said McCormack. “I love working with young golfers. People who are attracted to the game of golf are unique because they are willing to take the risk of trying something different. There is a lot to learn about life from playing golf…and coaching it.”

McCormack is certainly qualified for the position. After playing for his high school team in California, he then attended Pacific University and was a part of their golf team which ranked 19th in the country at the time. In 1999, he passed his Professional Golfers Association of America Player Ability Test, qualifying him to be a professional golfer. McCormack is a15-time winner of the National Press Club Golf Tournament and has a golf trophy there named in his honor. He had three children go through AHS and has coached over 200 high school golfers.

“I’m really excited to have such a talented coach next year,” said junior Greg Nielsen. “He was good enough for the PGA so he will hopefully help our team a lot next year.”

McCormack is equally excited about the start of the golf season and what he can bring to the team to help them improve upon their 4-4 record last year.

“What I bring to the golf team is my experience as a coach of 12 years, and the ability to share the knowledge I have learned over having played golf for 44 years,” said McCormack. “I also bring my love for Annandale High School. I think it is among the best high schools in the world.”

Viloria is the newest of the four head coaches next fall. She is in her first year of teaching at AHS and teaches both English 10 Honors and English 12 classes. When she’s not teaching, she takes to another passion, cheerleading. She has been a professional cheerleader for seven years and is currently a member of the Washington Redskins’ cheerleading squad. So when former head coach April Wells left the position as head coach for personal reasons, Viloria was the natural replacement.

“I have been cheerleading for 22 years so I obviously love the sport and I used to coach before,” said Viloria, who is also a certified dance and cheer judge. “I’d like to bring some positivity to the team this year and build up their morale and spirits.”

The team could certainly use a change after a season full of drama and placing last at competitions last year.

“I’m really excited for the season because we’re going to have a brand new coaching staff,” said Viloria. “I’m looking forward to doing better at competitions and demonstrating how hard [the team] worked.”

Scott was named head football coach after serving as defensive backs coach and special teams coordinator this year. He graduated from AHS in 1988 and has been an assistant coach for the football team since 1996. In the spring, Scott heads the boys varsity tennis program and led the team to a third place finish in the Patriot District this past season.

“I can’t wait for football season because I know coach Scott will work us hard and get us ready to go for games,” said junior linebacker Yari Mizouri.

Despite the changes, the fall sports programs hope to have a successful 2011 season.