Marching Band holds annual Tag Day

While most students spent their Saturday morning sleeping in, the marching band was up early and ready to begin their biggest fundraising event of the year. On Saturday, Sept. 11, the entirety of AHS’s marching band members went door to door in local neighborhoods asking for donations, as they do at the beginning of every season.

The neighborhoods were broken down and assigned to different groups, which generally consisted of four students. A volunteer parent/guardian driver provided transportation for the groups. They then set off into their specific area inside AHS’s boundaries. Each group had a goal of how much money they would collect before the afternoon was finished.

“The car I was in raised about $1,500, and there were about fifteen cars,” said freshman Noah Wolfenstein.

The total amount of donations collected exceeded $13,000. “Tag Day was very successful,” said band director Andrew Loft. “It was not only fun for the students, but also it was a team-building opportunity.”

The band members represented their school by walking around the communities wearing their full performance uniforms. Various amounts of donations were collected from houses that were willing and able to support the program. All of the money collected from the fundraiser goes to the band and guard booster programs.

“I do not think this was necessarily a successful fundraiser because my group did not make as much as I think we should have this year,” said junior Kaitlyn To.

Marching band is not cheap, as each year they perform at several different locations, to which they require transportation. Half-time performances at home football games, the Halloween Parade and competitions also require funding. These important events cost the department money, which is mainly collected from the annual Tag Day.

A successful fundraiser ensures the band may participate in all the activities they look forward to each and every year. A lot of donations were collected, but overall, the entire department really appreciated each dollar that was donated.