Underclassmen take PSATs and seniors take a break from school

While the seniors were allowed to stay at home for the day on Oct. 13 and prepare for their last  Powderpuff football game and Homecoming bonfire following the game, the underclassmen had to come to school at regular time to take a preliminary SAT. The test started soon after students arrived and ended before 11 a.m., when school was dismissed.

The PSAT shows and prepares students for what to expect on the actual SAT and allows students to use skills that they have developed over the years.

“I think the [PSATS] are good because they show us what to expect [on the SATs],” said sophomore Kyle Jamieson.

The test will determine your strengths and weaknesses in areas that will be necessary for college-level material.

“I don’t think people take this test seriously, but they should because it will really help us on the real SATs,” said sophomore Diana Hurtado.

Not only does the PSAT give students an opportunity to practice, but it also can be looked at by colleges and help them decide whether they are interested in you or not.

“I’’m nervous, but I’m going to try my best,” said freshman Noah Green before the test.

If freshmen or juniors want to receive the results of their test, they had to pay a fee of $17.  Sophomores did not have to pay the fee to receive their results. The test results will be given back to the students in mid-December.

“I think it’d be helpful if we didn’t have to pay for our results,” said junior Evelyn Jaramillo.

“I thought that the PSATs in previous years were pretty tough. In all honesty, I thought they wouldn’t really matter, but they really do. So take it seriously!” said senior Kate Nguyen.   

Many students were excited about getting out of school three hours early and spending the extra time to complete miscellaneous tasks.

“I slept and did current events for my history class,” said freshman Katie McCann.

Some students even spent the time preparing for the Homecoming dance, which is this Saturday, Oct. 16.

“With the extra time after the test, I went home, slept, ate, watched TV and got my nails done with friends for homecoming!” said sophomore Julia Copenhaver.

“I did my homework early, so I could have time to hang out with my friends,” said junior Erik Hoff.

“During my time off from school I did a lot of college work, was able to hang out with my friends, I caught up on my sleep and went to the doctor’s,” said senior Jenna Balicki. “Overall it was a very relaxing break from school.”