Students show spirit on Senior Citizen Day

Students seemed to age overnight on the fourth day of Spirit week. Shiny gray wigs, floral print skirts and old-fashioned hats were the type of attire seen around AHS on Dec. 9: Senior Citizen Day.

“I dressed up because I promised my friend I would,” junior Paul Singh said. Singh dressed up as an old man with black dress pants, a grey sweater, a black scarf and topped his look off with a newsboy cap. “I liked dressing up the most about this spirit day,” Singh said.

“I loved dressing up in my momma’ s clothes,” junior Lena Nourn said. Nourn wore a long skirt, a cardigan and glasses.

The Leadership students were responsible for coming up with all the spirit days for spirit week.

“We all brainstormed ideas and we wanted something unique and had never been done before and we came up with senior citizen day,” sophomore leadership student Patricia Moriba said. As part of her grade for leadership she was also decked out in senior citizen apparel. “I just put different traits together that I noticed old people wear…I was thinking ‘cat lady’,” Moriba said.

Some AHS students took this spirit day very seriously, like freshman James Barker.

“I have been planning [my outfit] since I first heard there was a senior citizen day, ” Barker said. Barker came to school in a blue plaid shirt with matching high wasted shorts, black high socks, a dress coat and shoes and for the final touch a bald cap.

Atomic Day will be the final spirit day in anticipation of the winter pep rally. On Atomic Day, freshman wear red, sophomores wear white, juniors wear face paint and seniors wear togas.