Peformers STAND up to genocide

The annual STAND Benefit Concert, which supported anti-genocide and showcased local performers, was held on Jan. 14.

A multitude of acts showcased their talents at th concert. Performances covered many different forms of creativity, ranging from bands to accompaniments, to hula dancing. Some performers, such as Gwen Levey, who sang and played an original song on guitar, were returning acts from last year, while others, such as members of the band Audio Essence, were new this year.

“It’s fun and it supports against genocide,” senior KC Thomas, who is performing for the first time with Audio Essence, said.

STAND is a student-run anti-genocide coalition, which is a division of Genocide Intervention Network. The club at AHS works to spread the message of anti-genocide to students and get them involved in supporting the cause.

“STAND raises money, aids refugees and gets everyone involved,” club sponsor Robin Thompson said. Thompson and her co-sponsor, Amy Graham, said that the concert has had very good turnout in the past and that people enjoy hearing local performers and bands.

“Last year we did really well,” senior Sam Pokraka said. Pokraka was involved in the concert production last year and decided to showcase her dancing talents by participating again. Pokraka performed a Hawaiian dance in the style of hula and Tahitian.

“I was a member of STAND last year and so I know it’s a great cause to be involved in. I would have joined [the club] again this year if I could have but I couldn’t, so I thought that at least I could do my part by participating in the concert,” Pokraka said.

Senior Kevin Cleary is another member of Audio Essence who performed at the concert.

“It’s a really good program because it makes people aware of issues in Africa, specifically the genocide in Darfur,” Cleary said. According to the concert’s Facebook event page, all proceeds will go to the Genocide Intervention Network, which will help the victims of mass atrocities all across the globe.

Some students, while supporting the cause, were also looking to support their friends.

“I know the bands playing and I enjoy supporting the cause, so it’s a fun event to go to,” senior Jenna Balicki said.

“I think it’s a really good idea that they raised money for a needy cause,” sophomore Christina Uglietta said. “Genocide is a really serious issue and we should spread the program to other schools.”

The STAND Benefit Concert helps to raise awareness, money and encourage support of the group through a fun activity.