Students preview their next year

Course selection is a tricky time of year. It is when the decisions that make or break your next school year are made. Some students already know what classes they are going to sign up for right off the bat. Others are less sure and count on the elective fair to help them make some tough decisions.

The elective fair was held during the two flex periods on Feb. 10, and was a time when students got to explore four electives, core classes or any combination of the two, that they might be interested in for next year. The purpose of this event is to help minimize confusion during the course selections that begin Feb. 17, when juniors will be going to their counselors during their English class. All freshmen, sophomores and juniors participated in the elective fair while the seniors headed to the cafeteria for a breakfast.

When the first bell rang, some students hightailed it to their first presentation, while others took the six minutes of travel time to socialize. More often than not, the students socializing did not get into the presentations they wanted because space filled up fast. Those found not in a presentation were escorted to the auditorium until the session ended.

“I didn’t really know where most of the classes that I was interested in were, so I never got to go to them,”  freshmen Amy Reynolds said.

The elective fair has more perks then problems. Freshman Katie McCann already knew what she was going to take next year. “[But] It was still useful because now I don’t have to worry about trying to fit the four electives I saw this year into next years fair,”  McCann said.

“I got to learn about JROTC, a class I wouldn’t have even thought was an option, and academies I didn’t even know Annandale offered,” sophomore Alexis Garretson said.

Overall, students got to learn about electives that they may want to take in the upcoming year, or begin to get an understanding of the courses they are required to take in the next year. And while going on an adventure around the school may not be on the top of every student’s to-do list, it is, at least, a break from the never-ending learning.