AHS holds annual Just World Festival

On a usual day when you enter the cafeteria it’s filled with students complaining about bad food, but this wasn’t the case on Feb. 25. The cafeteria was cramped with excited students, parents and teachers, and the best part: the food was delicious. Amazing food could only mean one thing: AHS was holding its annual Just World Festival.

The Just World Festival was from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m. and was held in the cafeteria. Multiple schools across D.C., Maryland and Virginia attended this festival. PETA, STAND, Green Atoms and SAFE were some of the many different organizations to have exhibits. The three main events in the festival were compassion over killing, songwriting and yoga.

Compassion over killing taught students about the benefits of becoming a vegetarian, taught them about vegetarian starters guide and easy vegan recipes.

In the songwriting event, students were taught about the power of music and students got a chance to write songs, which some later performed at the open mike.

At the yoga event, students learned about connecting the body and the mind. Students were also able to practice yoga with an instructor.

There was also a henna station and a threading station, as well as food provided by the Annandale Bristo with food from Asia, Central and South America, Africa and India.

“The food was really good and there was a variety of different foods from all over the world,” sophomore Edna Meseker said.

Towards the end of the event, students from all the different schools, as well as AHS students, got a chance to perform songs at the open mike and dance. Many students like sophomore Ariam Tedlaa sung at the open mike. Others performed dances like Single Ladies.

“It felt good to finally come out of my comfort zone and perform in front of a whole bunch of people I didn’t know,” Tedlaa said.