Chorus excels at competition

Daily practices, after school rehearsals and hard work finally paid off March 19 when chorus competed at District Chorus Festival, resulting in three Superior ratings and one Excellent at West Potomac High School.

“Festival is like the SOL for chorus, adjudication for tone quality, vocal blend and interpreting the music,” sophomore Laura Hackfeld said. She competed with the Select Women’s Ensemble. “I feel like we did really well and that the judges felt the same. There’s just some little things we need to work on.”

AHS had four groups compete: Concert Choir, Select Women’s Ensemble, Men’s Chorale and Annandale Singers. Each group performed three song selections for multiple judges. Songs on the repertoire included “The Cloths of Heaven” performed by Concert Choir, “Ritmo” performed by Men’s Chorale and “All That Hath Life & Breath Praise Ye the Lord” performed by the Annandale Singers. All four choruses are directed by Jessica Lardin, who is in her first year of teaching at AHS.

“I was really hopeful with the new director and we got all one’s,” sophomore Sarah Hatch, who is part of the Women’s Ensemble, said. One is the best possible score a group can earn.

Festival included a warm up, performance of three prepared pieces and sight reading of a given piece. Judges listened intently and scored whether specific requirements were met. All of the advanced groups, which includes Select Women’s Ensemble, Men’s Chorale and Annandale Singers, received a rating of Superior, the best rating available. Concert choir also performed well, earning and Excellent rating.

“I’m really happy that it all came together even though it was last second, but we pulled it off,” sophomore Stephen Oakes said.