Lax makes regionals

AHS varsity girls lacrosse failed to make it to the district championship after a bitter defeat at the hands of cross-town rival W.T. Woodson. The semi-final game was played at Robert E. Lee HS as the Atoms lost 13-12 in a sudden victory double overtime.

“It was a really tough way to lose that game.  We were playing well, but everything seemed to break down” junior Kenzi Wright said.

This was the first time in three years the girls lacrosse team did not make it to the District Championship. Two years ago, the Atoms won the championship and last year the team lost in the finals to W.T. Woodson.  It is the second straight year the girls team lost to Woodson.

“It’s really tough losing to them again,” senior Kate Bermingham said. “They’re our biggest rival and I think we let them off the hook.”

The Atoms seemed to lack focus and composure throughout the game making mistakes that allowed the Cavaliers to stay in the game.

“We came out too nervous,” freshmen Amanda Villafania said.

This nervousness faded to disappointment after being on the wrong side of the upset.

The early exit from district play was not expected after the tremendous regular season success. The girls went 7-0 in the Patriot District making them the no. 1 seed going into the playoffs.  After losing to the no. 3 seed Woodson, AHS will have to look forward to Region play, which began on May 17 and was too late to be reported on. The game was played at AHS vs. Stonebridge HS.