Food fights at FCPS schools

During the last stretch of school, the administration is focused on preventing major behavioral issues. With this in mind, nothing could make them more scared than what some are calling a “food fight epidemic.”

Two fights in the past month have occurred in separate FCPS high schools, both causing havoc and even arrests, as well as other severe punishments. In addition, two other fights occurred outside the county.

It all started shortly after 1 p.m. on May 13, when a group of seniors ignited a food fight during C Lunch at West Springfield HS. As more and more kids of all different grades joined, the scene became chaotic and even caused a few minor injuries. Simultaneously a student pulled the fire alarm and the whole school became involved in the havoc. The cafeteria itself took eight hours to clean.

The controversial punishment was not tolerant of the actions of the seniors who pulled the prank, as the administration decided to pull the plug on West Springfield’s senior Prom scheduled for June 17.

“At this time, ALL senior activities including the senior picnic, senior trip to Hershey Park and the Senior Prom are on hold until we complete our investigation of the incidents today. All students involved are facing consequences from the school and some may also face criminal charges from Fairfax County Police. School Resource Officer Plazio is leading our investigation in this matter. This is a very serious matter and senior pranks will not be tolerated in our building.”  West Springfield Principal Paul Wardinski stated in his official letter to parents and students.

However, the punishment became less severe as seniors regained their rights to Prom. More than 100 students are scheduled to participate in community service. Nevertheless, for those 100 kids, only after they complete their community service can they petition to be allowed to go to Prom.

A few days later, two Centreville HS seniors were arrested for assault after starting another infamous food fight.

As the year slowly comes to an end, many are bracing to see if this outbreak will spread to AHS and the senior prank. With the watchful eyes from alert administrators and the risk of getting one of the most highly anticipated events in high school cancelled, it seems that this school is immune.